Friday, March 29, 2013

A Tragic Fairy Tale teaser #3


Here is the third teaser to ATFT 



Present
I sit across from him as we finish our meal, but neither one of us move. I look down at my plate that sits empty in front of me as I feel his eyes staring into me. I start to feel uncomfortable when I look back up to him and he smiles. It is gentle, but it holds more than he wants me to know.
“Star crossed lovers.” He whispers barely loud enough for me to hear him.
“Stop,” I tell him, “That time in our lives is done and over with.” I hear him sigh in front of me and I tell myself not to look at him. I can hear the hurt that’s lined in his sigh.
“I’m sorry, Hay.” He says looking up to me through his lashes. I shake my head quickly telling him that we shouldn’t be talking about it. “I waited for you,” he tells me, “I waited to run into you when I would come back home, but I never did. It was like some force field kept us apart. I would go to all the areas that I knew you used to go to. I went to your old job hoping that you would come in. I was lost without you in my life… for a long time.”
“Liam… stop.” I tell him, lifting my hand into the air.
“But it’s true. I waited years to tell you this. I don’t want you to think that I didn’t want you.”
“And those are all things that you should have told me years ago.”
“But you changed your number; you moved on so quickly. I knew that the only way I would have a shot was if I saw you.”
“I had to move on,” I know that he doesn’t understand, “I met Reid shortly after you left. I was hurt by you and wasn’t sure if I was ever going to trust anyone again. He fixed me. He completes me Liam. He makes me the person that I am supposed to be. He will never ever leave me the way you did then.” The last sentence comes out harsher than I intend it to, but it must do.
“Please, let me finish.”
“Liam,” I say leaning over the table, “You’re married.”
“And I love my wife, more than I can express sometimes. But the things that we had… they cannot be replaced. I think about them at times. I think about you a lot. Not just the intimate moments, but our friendship. You were an amazing friend and you always forgave and I just continued to throw that away.” I sit shocked staring up to him it was as if everything I had felt over the years about him he was expressing. I love my husband beyond words but sometimes if I think about Liam I get that twinge of jealousy.
“It wasn’t just you Liam. We were awful for one another. Maybe that’s why you never ran into me after you came back. Maybe someone was watching out for us. Maybe someone knew that we would end up ruining one another more than we already had.” And I know that we would have. We would have destroyed each other.
“I ruined you?” he asked me through hurt eyes.
“Yes.”
“How?”
“You made it harder for me to trust.” I say to him without looking up to meet his eyes.
“I know, I remember the conversation.” I remember the conversation as well. I wish that I could scrub my memory of it, but it never seemed to go away, no matter how much I tried to forget it.



Add it on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment