Thursday, December 6, 2012

The mastermind

Here's a second teaser of the day...

from my second novel Your Own Disaster...


I heard footsteps behind me as I sharply turn the corner and begin to pass the back entrance of the bar when I slammed into a hard body in front of me.
“August, my love” my knees give out yet again as I heard the accent come over me as he embraces me leaning down to whisper in my ear “Play along… there is a man following behind you” he silently told me. Then he raised his voice and began to speak again “I was waiting for you and I couldn’t find you so I came out here to look for you and here you are.” he smiled; oh, that smile.
“Yes” I stammered over my words “I just came out the front to get some air.” I see Lucas watch the guy from the corner of his eyes.
“He’s gone.” He told me releasing his grip around my body. As soon as he let go I instantly wished for his arms to be back around my body. I see his eyes intensely stare at me. “Why are you out here so late walking by yourself?” he questioned me.
“Alright, dad, if you must know I was on my way home.”
“This late, by yourself?”
“Yes, I never planned on staying this late to begin with.”
“Alright I see.” He paused looking back to the door again “Well, let me take you home.” He suggested.
“No, thank you. I am fine walking.” I retorted to him.
“Alright then, let me walk you home.”
“That’s not going to happen.” I snapped at him.
“Well, then I’m going to walk behind you until you get home. Then once you get inside your home safe I will walk back.”
“If that’s what you want to do” I told him. He just smiled his crooked smile at me.
“It is”
I turned around in a huff and started to storm off in the direction of my apartment. I noticed that he stayed about 6 paces behind me at all times.
“Natural or not?” he asked me.
“What?” I snapped back
“I’m sorry” he laughed “The hair, it’s extremely bright red I’ve never seen a color that bright, so I have to ask.”
“Oh, it’s fake, but I’ve been dying it for so long that no one remembers what my natural color is.” I admit to him causing him to laugh out.
“Why red? I mean most girls go for blonde” that’s the first comment that made my feet stop and turn around to face him causing him to come closer to me than he had intended to be.
“Because I’m not like most girls” I said pointing a finger to his face. “Plus, it’s the most unnatural, natural color. It’s my rebellion against the cliché of what you are supposed to do as an adult.” He looked to me with almost a confused look on his face, and I turned back around to continue my course toward my home.
“Why don’t you want to become famous isn’t that every singers ambition?” I asked him a few moments later, him still 6 paces behind me.
“Probably most I guess. Fame is just something that I have never been worried about. I mean I have a great day job and I do this because I want to and sure it helps with the bills. How did you know that anyways?”
“Will and I went to high school together, we haven’t really talked in years but he wanted me to come out to this and when he stopped to ask me what I thought of them I asked about your band because I had never heard of you guys.”
“Will from the band that went on before us?”
“Yea”
“How old are you?” he asked me
“Why is that relevant to this situation?” I questioned him
“Just trying to make conversation here I will go first. I am 26… now your turn.”
“25” I told him rolling my eyes at him.
“So I have to ask why didn’t Will make sure you got home safe?” he questioned me, I thought that I heard a slight bit of sarcasm in his voice when he said his name
“I told you we aren’t close”
“So why did he invite you out here if he isn’t interested or close to you?”
“Because I work for the paper doing a music column.”
“That’s you? I’ve read it a few times. It’s really good.”
“Thank you” I looked over and realized that he had managed to catch up and is walking right next to me as I come to stop looking up to my apartment. “Well this is me.” I told him.
“Well, August, it has been a pleasure saving your life now twice since I have met you.”
“Thank you for those by the way.” I smiled to him, and caught his eyes making eye contact. Before I realized what exactly was happening I felt him throw his arms around me; me following his lead, and his mouth upon mine and my forceful kiss in his return. I pulled my key from my pocket and opened the door to the complex pulling him inside with me. We made it up to my apartment, I pulled him inside with me, and he pulled away from me for a moment…
“This is not what I had intended when I offered to walk you home” my knees went weak again and he caught me.
“Shut up” I simply said to him causing him to laugh and I felt his lips crash to mine again. He lifted me off from my toes and I wrapped my legs around his body bringing him in closer to me and felt my butt rest on the kitchen counter and I realized that he wasn’t sure where to go.
“Down the hall on the left” I whispered in his ear and thought for a moment that I felt his body shiver as I said it. I felt him pick me up once again and pull me into my bedroom. I felt my head touch the bed followed by the rest of my body and felt the warmth, muscle on top of me. I wanted to see what he held underneath the black shirt that covered the remaining tattoos on his arms. I grabbed at the bottom of the shirt, lifting it over his head, and gasping at the tattooed covered torso.
“Oh, fuck me” I shouted out. Realizing that I had just shouted this out loud I looked to him and he had a questionable smirk on his face. “The tattoos” I managed to mutter out, and watched him nod telling me that he understood. He then grabbed the shirt tails of my shirt revealing the pale skin underneath my long sleeve shirt. He pointed at my left ribcage and my right hip pointing out my own tattoos.
“Nice” he said.
“Thanks… there’s more.” I responded to him pulling his mouth back to mine.

I woke up the next morning feeling like shit. I wasn’t sure how many drinks I had actually had and for some unknown reason whenever I got drunk I woke up ungodly early. The first thing I noticed when I awoke was that I was naked, but I was in my bed… which I had done alone before. It wasn’t until I rolled over and saw Lucas lying next to me did I get the flooding thoughts of last night’s escapades.
I got ready for work as quietly as possible and when I was finished I sat down in my chair I had in my bedroom which faced the bed. I just looked at him for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do. I walked to the spare room which also was used as an office and grabbed the stack of post-it notes out of the drawer with a sharpie and walked back into my bedroom scribbling down
Lucas-
I had to go ahead and leave for an early meeting. Feel free to grab anything to eat from the kitchen if you could just lock the door on your way out. Thanks
-A-
I looked him over wondering where would be the best place to leave this. Bathroom… what if he doesn’t go in? Nightstand… what if he doesn’t see it? Pillow… what if he rolls onto it? Fuck it I thought as I reached across the bed and slapped it gently onto his forehead. Well hopefully it won’t get lost now. He makes a sound and I instantly freeze not sure if I am going to be able to make it out of this house without him waking up and finding me in the act of leaving. I slowly turn around completely expecting to find him looking at me. When I look over my shoulder I see that he is still asleep though. I raced for the front door
I know it’s an awful thing to do when you feel the need to explain yourself but I left with that pulling out my phone as I descended the stairs to call Emma feeling that I was doing a walk of shame out of my own apartment.
“Hey Auggie” she said as she answers “It’s it still really early I figured you would be dragging ass since you went to that concert last night.”
“Em, can you meet me at the diner?”
“Oh no, what did you do?”

No comments:

Post a Comment